Creating Healthy Human Capital
- Founded Erie County Physical Activity Coalition, #1 rated coalition by New York State Department of Health. Also helped found New York State Physical Activity Coalition (renamed Be Active NYS Initiative)!
- Buffalo Public Schools Health Council Member – participating in the review, revision & implementation of Buffalo Public School District-wide Wellness Policy.
- Facilitated establishment of Wellness Councils in Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Rochester, Albany and New York City.
- Co-Founder of Community Health Network & board member of Health Promotion Advocates; both facilitate national health promotion advocacy!
- Launched annual Walking to Wellness community campaign— named community best practiceby New York State Dept. of Health!
- Launched Healthiest Districts Initiative for 142 Assembly District; now includes five school districts in WNY.
- Established behavioral programs:
- First Choice
- Youth Advantage (over 10 years has served over 4,800 youth with Physical, Mental, Social and Character development)
- W.H.A.T. (Worksite Health Action Team) Forums
- Move for Life
- Passport to Wellness Walks for older adults
- PACE training
- Adventures in Change Training
- Creative Youth leadership program (2004-2009)
- City Of Buffalo Falls Prevention partnership partnered with Mayor/& City Fire Department
- Buffalo Healthy Kids Healthy Community Initiative
- Member of community partnership with Business First newspaper, YMCA, Wegmans Food Stores and Independent Health Insurer to award Western New York’s Healthiest Employers Awards
- Healthy Communities Coalition Steering Committee Member
- Erie County Tobacco Free Coalition Member
- Founded award-winning B-Well, City of Buffalo Employee Wellness Program – serving 3500 diverse public sector employees (1989 – 2005).
- Host City of Buffalo “B-WELL Buffalo” and WNY “Healthy Communities” TV show
- Wellness Lane: over 24,000 persons served at Buffalo Niagara Auto Show.
- Hosted two national conferences (1992 and 2006) and 7 regional conferences on health promotion.
- Managed National Association for Health & Fitness
- Planning, implementing, and evaluating Wellness Challenges and Community Gardens to promote healthy living
- CDC Work@Health Certification for Phil Haberstro (2019)
- Increased Eat Well Live Well Challenge enrollment for workforce and community health promotion.
- GOLDEN YEARS WELLNESS TOUR (2011-12) visited 17 Buffalo Senior centers with presentations on falls prevention, physical activity and nutrition. Recruited multiple community partners for ongoing falls prevention in the Fillmore District and beyond.
- Facilitated Town of Tonawanda partnership with Cardinal O’Hara High School campus offering health promotion activities & resources
- Provided opportunity for (100+) college student internships and service learning in school, worksite and community health promotion.
- Since 1989 participated in the training of health promotion Interns year-round from across the United States.
- Consulted to provide workplace and community health promotion to the Health Sciences Charter School in the City of Buffalo (2013 to present)!
Don't Miss a Beat!
Be a part of community health initiatives.
This website, all text and images, Copyright© 2021 Wellness Institute of Greater Buffalo
No use permitted without permission